Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday-Prayer

Okay, so here it is 'Thoughtful Thursday' once again.



Well, this week I've been thinking a lot about prayer. What it is, how it's done and why it should be done.

It's always been hard for me to understand. I can remember thinking, "What good is prayer anyway, if God is sovereign and will do what He will do no matter?" But I know God wants us to be in communion with Him. That's what prayer is. The Bible tells us to "pray without ceasing". Must be pretty important. I've heard it attributed to C.S. Lewis, the saying, "Prayer doesn't change God, it changes us." But if we keep just asking God for things, how does this change us? That made me realize that prayer must be done along with a regular diet of bible-reading. We read the Bible to better understand God's heart and ways, and then we will know better how to pray.

I still have many questions and want to do more research before I write much about it. So, I shall do that this week, and hopefully be ready to share my conclusions by next 'Thoughtful Thursday'.

Any comments?


2 comments:

  1. If any of you should ask me for an epitome of the Christian religion, I should say that it is in one word - prayer. Live and die without prayer, and you will pray long enough when you get to hell.
    Charles Spurgeon

    Good subject Sunny.

    Most of the great men of God throughout the ages didn't really have a lot in common. Many were worlds apart theologically and methodologically. But one thing they did all have in common was that they had a strong prayer life. That might be interesting to study further.

    Was it Maa-tin Luuutha who said:
    I have so much to do today I shall never get it all done unless I pray for at least 3 hours ;)

    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Dee-aah Maa-tin Luuutha had quite a perspective. One I should adopt. If I see I have a busy day, I make it short and sweet. Just terrible.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete