Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday--A To-Do List for 2012



Because of the success of last years goals, I am making a list for this year. And yes, I do consider last year a success, because I did accomplish half of my list. : )

This year's goals are not big ones, but they are important to me, nonetheless.

I continue to think, "This year needs to be the year of self-control." I am working on becoming more disciplined and organized.  More on top of things. Less of a procrastinator.

1. A new commitment to Bible-reading.

I've continued to read from "Valuable Selections from the Writings of George Muller" and there was a section where he talked about the way he reads the Bible. He incorporates reading, prayer and meditation.  He says,  
"I began, therefore, to meditate an the New Testament, from the beginning, early in the morning. The first thing I did, after having asked in a few words the Lord's blessing on His precious word, was to begin to meditate on the word of God, searching, as it were, into every verse, to get blessing out of it...The result I have found to be almost invariably this, that after a very few minutes my soul has been led to confession, or to thanksgiving, or to intercession, or to supplication; so that though I did not, as it were, give myself to prayer, but to meditation, yet it turned almost immediately more or less into prayer."

2. Pray for a family each week.

Another family in the church has told us off and on that they had prayed for us the week before and that they pray for the other families in our church on rotation. I think this is a wonderful idea! It reminds you to be in prayer, but it also causes the bond of fellowship to grow as you are praying for one another. I wanted to be part of that. So I made little cards and wrote each families name on them and I will choose one each week, at 'random', and pray for them. Whatever and however to Spirit leads me to.


3. Ask my Heavenly Father for opportunities and direction

This list and this post are all about what I would like to accomplish or what I think would be good to do. But really, I want to do what God would have me do. So far, I think the items on my list are what He wants for me to do. But beyond that, I want to be open and aware of opportunities to serve Him throughout the year. And some of the most obvious and often opportunities are within my own home in relating to my family.


4. Make a book list and complete it

I always have books I want to read, know I should read but don't really want to, and books I need to read. But, somehow, they stay in their little stack, untouched, gathering dust. I'm a checklist kind of person so, I'm thinking it would be helpful to make a bookmark, a sturdy one, with my reading list on it. So when I finish one, I can check it off and see what I'll be reading next.

5. Eat more fruits and veggies

Boring. Yeah, I know. But really! I have slowly moved into this idea that I can eat whatever I want and not have a consequences. Not that I have any major health issues, but I don't want to develop any. I really do want to take care of the body God gave me, and I just haven't been. So, I am making a conscious effort to add more of the good stuff to my diet. And that means I'm looking at healthier recipes so I can...

6. Start cooking regularly

Last year, one of my goals was to take a cooking class. I then realized that I don't need to spend all that money, when I have a kitchen and a great instructor at home! So, I've been enjoying looking at recipes and planning menus. I'll be cooking on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (for the church meal). I'm excited!

7. Get organized and be punctual about Birthdays and Christmas

I love the idea of sending birthday cards and thinking (and buying) ahead for Christmas, but have never been able to. Why? Because I didn't write little reminders on my calendar! So, I've already done that and so now every time I look at my calendar, I'm reminded to get a card ready or think about who would like what for Christmas.

8. Revamp 'piano studio'

I don't really have one of those, but I would like to shape up the way I handle teaching piano. I want to do this so that I can provide a better education for the students I have, and for the ones I hope to begin teaching this year. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and *shudders* pay for an online theory course?!
Plus, I have a beautiful book, "Talent to Treasure" written by a Christian woman who has taught piano for 40 years (?). I started reading that this evening.

9. Improve in my musical ability

Like I said in a previous post, I did get a new piano book of hymn arrangements. I really like and am going to learn each and everyone throughout the year. I found out the Homeschool Choir will not have a Spring semester, so I still have time to pursue the music I want to. Also, I really want to freshen up the songs we play for church. I've gotten stuck in a rut and need some new inspiration.

10. Stay on top of projects--and finish them!!!

I have a few projects stored away that I've intended to do for probably 3 years now. And I'm going to just do them, and that's all there is to it! One is to repair my parents' very special quilt. It was made by friends in Florida as a going-away gift when we moved. Very special, but falling apart.

11. Jog in a 5K and do well at it

I had thought about doing one of these last year...but I let the opportunity pass me by. Some young friends of mine are starting to jog this year, and they are planning to be a part of a 5K, so I thought it would be fun to join them. I just hope it's not in July. : ( I need to find out how far I'm currently jogging and work up to a good 5K speed. I'd hate to do badly.

12. Keep to my cleaning schedule

I wrote about wanting to get a cleaning schedule together in my post about our 'mold adventure' and I did.  Mom is on board and so far, I've kept up 5 days of it. I enjoy having a task or tasks to complete and check off and having a nicely clean house is very pleasant. 

Okay, so, here's accountability. All of you have read what I hope to accomplish this year. Yikes. But I feel like these are reasonable goals that I'll be able to meet this year. Check in on me, if you must.

Here's to 2012!

2 comments:

  1. Sunny, what a wonderful list! I love the idea of picking one family to pray for specifically each week! I also hope to complete a 5-K with my brother... do you have any tips on how to do so modestly? My little sister wants to learn piano, and I will begin teaching her soon, I would love to read the book "Talent to Treasure." Hopefully this week I will complete my 2012 list - cooking more will definitely be on it! Thank you for sharing your list! It is very inspiring and I look forward to watching you check each goal off as the year continues! Sincerely, Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you got this one hot off the press! : )
    About active wear, I have capri leggings that I wear under a below-the-knee length skirt of the same kind of fabric. I found the skirt at a consignment store and I dread the day it wears out. You can search "modest active-wear" and a few sites will come up. There are options, but they usually are expensive : (
    You can read about and get "Talent to Treasure" from this site: http://marciawashburn.com/T2T.html
    Thanks for your interest and support!
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete