Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday--I'm 27!

Last Monday, January 16th, I turned 27. 


It is a strange thing, feeling that I have that many years of experience under my belt, and yet that those years of experience do not add up to much. I feel like I have just begun gathering wisdom. That all the years I've lived have been spent 'growing up' and now learning wisdom is the new phase I'm entering.

I looked at my photo album yesterday with Natalie and it starts with my newborn pictures, through toddler, to little girl, to big girl, to young woman. And while I cherish my childhood and my growing-up years, I am so happy to be where I am now.

I love my family and I love still living with my family. I can't imagine why I would want to live away from them. I'm very thankful that they are so supportive of my choosing to stay home.

I love living in a log home in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This place, I think, was always going to be 'home'. And unless God has better plans, I hope WNC will continue to be home in the years to come.

I love working at the Billy Graham Training Center and I love the people I work with. I'll soon be there 10 years and I plan on being there until I become a full-time Home-Maker. ; )

I love the opportunities I've had to use my talents. Teaching piano lessons, baking cakes, selling my knitted baby accessories, and accompanying the Blue Ridge Homeschool Choir. God obviously ordained these opportunities and it has been a growing experience, as well as a way to provide a little extra income for myself and my family.

I love my church family!!! 
I give all praise to God for what He did in forming this body of believers! I don't know where I'd be without them. : ) I have learned so much about our amazing God and therefore have come to love Him even more.

As long as I keep my focus on God, I am quite content and very thankful for this time in my life.

And now a few pictures...

Birthday cupcakes! Yummy, red velvet.

My favorite scented soap: Lavender Vanilla Snow. 

I think someone is ready for cake!

Delicious!

All the sweet birthday wishes I received. So special!

This birthday has been so special. From going out to dinner with my family, to getting surprise presents, to having a birthday song written for me, to having cake orders due on my birthday, to looking forward to a birthday dinner with the women from church, and getting to go to the symphony with my brother.

And here are a couple baby pictures...

"Sunny"

Newborn Sunny. Cake by my grandmother.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're a 'Pride and Prejudice' fan, you'll like this! 

I've always remembered this part where Charlotte mentions being 27 like it's a bad thing...



Elizabeth Bennet: Charlotte! 

Charlotte Lucas: My dear Lizzie. I've come to tell you the news. Mr. Collins and I are... engaged. 

Elizabeth Bennet: To be married? 

Charlotte Lucas: Yes of course. What other kind of engaged is there? 

[Lizzie looks shocked] 

Charlotte Lucas: Oh, for Heaven's sake! Don't look at me like that Lizzie! There is no Earthly reason why I shouldn't be as happy with him as any other. 

Elizabeth Bennet: But he's ridiculous! 

Charlotte Lucas: Oh hush! Not all of us can afford to be romantic. I've been offered a comfortable home and protection. There's alot to be thankful for. 

Elizabeth Bennet: But... 

Charlotte Lucas: I'm twenty-seven years old, I've no money and no prospects. I'm already a burden to my parents and I'm frightened. So don't you dare judge me Lizzie. Don't you dare! 



Thankfully, I wasn't born in the early 1800's.


3 comments:

  1. Lizzy: "Well since you're quite 5 times as pretty of the rest of us, and have the sweetest disposition, I fear the task will fall on you to raise our fortunes."
    Jane: "Yes, but Lizzy, I would wish...I should so much like...to marry for love."
    Lizzy: "And so you shall--when you take care to fall in love with a man of good fortune!"
    Jane: "And you?"
    Lizzie: "I am determined that nothing but the very deepest love would induce me into matrimony. So, I shall end an old maid, and teach your 10 children to embroider cushions and play their instruments very ill!"

    One of my favorite quotes from the old P&P movie!

    It is a great blessing to not have to fret over stations of life and consequent fortunes...we just have to be patient and trust God, knowing that His ways and His timing are always the very best.

    Happy Birthday, Sweet Sunny. I'm glad you enjoyed your day!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say that I am a P&P fan at all, but I doubt that you are a burden to your family. ;)

    I love the picture of all of us! And we have another new visitor coming this Sunday!!

    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was totally in fun. I've always thought Charlotte's reasoning was ridiculous! I do my very best to be an asset to my family : ) Thanks!
    How exciting! I'm very curious...

    ReplyDelete