Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday-- Lazy days of Fall

Today, I had one of those days. 


One of those "I-want-to-be-lazy" days.
One of those days where I can't even pretend to want to do anything. 
One of those days where "I don't want to do nothing, be nothing or marry nothing". 
Yeah. Marry nothing. It comes and goes...

That little quote is something a cousin of mine used to say, I think. She would say it in response to people asking her too many questions. "What have you been doing? What are going to be when you grow up? Are you going to marry that little boyfriend of yours?" Some days, I feel the same way. Like today.


Do you ever have one of those days?

What do you do to lighten your mood?

Before anyone thinks I'm depressed or anything, I always start feeling this way when it begins to get cold out. And today was cold. I just want to sit under a blanket all day. But I don't really want that. I just want to be warm.

Don't get me wrong...I love the mountains. But, maybe I should fly south for the winter? Or maybe west? Way west. Like Hawaii.


But, I must remember, as this sign has so aptly put it, "Autumn leaves. Jesus doesn't."


David, the Psalmist, who often was in much more despair than I have ever been, in order to be lifted up out of the pit, would turn to praising the Lord. Just open up the Psalms and you'll see many, if not most, begin in the depths of despair, and end in praise to God.

Here's an example:
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me? 
How long must I take counsel in my soul 
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?


Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed over him,"
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.


But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
because He has dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13


And, even though I was only lacking in enthusiasm today, not despairing of life, that's what my focus should've, could've been today. On how to glorify God. Then it wouldn't have been worthless.

May we all endeavor to glorify God in some way, each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment